Sunday 2 August 2009

Northampton Arm

Setting out to do 17 locks single-handed, I was ready for a tedious day. I bought my Nene licence at Gayton Marina and filled the water tank. In the event, it was far from tedious. A family having a picnic by the second lock- with two young boys - joined me for about 9 locks and the two excellent boys (and their dad) were a top crew. Thank you, whoever you were - and I hope the sore knee is better - always hold on tight to the windlass..............




















top crew...
























interesting juxtaposition of lock and lift bridge on the Arm

After about 13 locks, the canal narrows as wide reed beds have been left for wildlife. It was wonderful to be followed by a couple of terns - the boat must get the fish moving - for an hour or so. Every few minutes they would smack into the water just inches from the boat and emerge, as often as not, with a small fish. They were so close I could not follow them with a camera (and steer through the narrow channel) but it was rare sight.














tern ready to make a splashdown











Motorway railing above the canal .





















Weird arched cathedral-like vault carries the motorway over the arm and ( below) under construction.
































Do visit the Blisworth Image site - full of really interesting images.
and I do mean narrows down....










A group of yoofs throwing things had me a little worried at lock 16, but in the end I gave a few of them a ride down the lock and the others "helped". Thankfully the hatches were shut, as I had seen them from a distance. They were OK really. I suppose somebody loves them......
Now moored on The Nene at Northampton, near Morrisons until Crew#4 arrives on Tuesday for the last leg of the trip. Looked a bit iffy here, but there is CCTV. several trips to the nearby Morrisons will be needed as once again Moondaisy's food lockers are looking pretty empty.